06 December, 2011

Simple Ice Tea.

This ice tea is very easy and simple to make with a slight sweetness. It goes great with any meal and is really really refreshing for any season (and I mean any season--I love drinking it during winter too!). This recipe doesn't cost more than five dollars to make and is all natural (for the most part) :D

Ingredients:
1.) 2-3 tbsps of white sugar.
2.) ~4 ounces of lemon juice (I'm using concentrate since lemons are expensive during winter season)
3.) ~2 tbsps of honey
4.) 2 tbsps of tea leaves of your choice. I used lemon ginseng tea in this recipe.
5.) ~1 gallon of water

Directions!
1.) Throw the sugar and honey in a pot with a gallon of water.  It also helps to throw in a little water first and stir to dissolve the sugar and honey, but whichever works.
2.) Using a colander with a handle and hook (you can use tea balls or bags to help keep tea out) hang over the rim of the pot. Ensure the water is soaking or submerging the leaves.
I used a colander instead for my loose tea.
3.) Bring to boil and take off stove. Leave the leaves in the tea until the tea has cooled off then remove.
4.) Place some lemon juice in a container or jug used to store the tea and funnel the cooled tea inside. Let the tea chill in the fridge until cool and serve.
My apologies for the bad picture, but this is the final product. 

Afterthoughts: The type of tea used for this recipe (as mentioned) was lemon ginseng tea. I bought a mass bulk off amazon for about $11. I honestly recommending using more Asian teas like green tea or chrysanthemum. Chrysanthemum is very delicious by very "pugnant" in taste, so the amount of chrysanthemum  used should be reduced. I advise against using very citrus teas with orange or tangerine (that's personal preference) or teas with cinnamon. I love the particular tea I used and it came out very wonderful. The honey is very subtle and light with a mixture of lemon. Very healthy for the body.

This recipe was very flexible and not set in stone. So feel free to make it as sweet or as lemony as you please.   Enjoy!

Costs:
1 bottle of 16oz lemon concentrate = $1.50 so $0.37 for 4oz used
sugar & honey =~$0.50
tea = $11.00 for a bulk amount. ~$0.20 worth for used
Total Cost: ~$0.77 used for 1 gallon of tea.  

No comments:

Post a Comment