09 December, 2011

Roasted Ribs with Tangerine Sauce.

I just had a late dinner after running some errands and decided to do something quick and creative so I dug through the mess of my freezer and found a rack of ribs I bought the other day. After about an hour or prep and cook, dinner was pleasant. This dish is a quick one with little to no effort at all.

Ingredients:
1.) Pork ribs. I used only four ribs this time since it was a just going to be me for dinner (I'm all alone!) tonight so  use as much as you please.
2.) ~1.5 tsp of cayenne pepper
3.) ~1.5 tsp of paprika
4.) salt and pepper to taste
5.) 1 tangerine
6.) 1/2 tbsp of corn starch or tapioca starch (which I used since I didn't have any corn starch).
7.) 1.25 tbsps of white vinegar
8.) 2.5 tbsps of honey
9.) pinch of salt
10.) 2 tablespoons of cold water.
11.) 1/2 tbsp of oil

Directions:
1.) Take the rack of ribs and peel away the film on the bottom. Not entirely sure what that film is, but it is something I know you don't want to eat. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Sprinkle a coat of salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Zigzag a light coat of oil (I used canola but olive oil works too) and repeat on on the other side with spices and oil. Place on baking pan covered in foil (for easy clean up). In the oven it goes and bake for 5-7 minutes and turn and bake for another 5-7 minutes.
Sprinkle a light cover on the ribs and bake for 5-7 minutes on each side.
2.) [Tangerine sauce] Cut half a tangerine and juice. Pour 2 and half tablespoons of honey in with the juice. Zest 1 tsp or two of the tangerine and mix in. Add vinegar. Give the mixture a taste. If too sweet, add a little more vinegar. Place in pot and bring to boil. While boiling, sift some starch in the sauce to thicken. Add a small pinch of salt. Remove from heat and place in sauce dish. Let the sauce cool and add 2 tablespoons of cold water to dilute the sauce a bit.
Using about half a tangerine with some vinegar and honey, this sauce came out very delicious. 
 3.) Remove ribs form the oven after 14 minutes or so and cut. Serve sauce either on the side or over the ribs. Enjoy!
Fresh out of the oven roasted ribs. :D

Slice up ribs and serve with tangerine sauce. This is a close up of the final product.  The ribs were very moist and tender.
Serve with the sauce on the side or on top, but either way, it was a quick and delicious meal .  Please ignore the messy counter top. :]
Afterthoughts: I actually added a little ginger to sauce because I had a sore throat (due to the oncoming of winter) and it cleared it right up. The only problem was I added a little bit too much ginger and gave myself a good kick in the head. But, the sauce before I added the ginger was pretty good, just a bit heavy. I still liked it overall as it gave me a good, fast meal.

Costs:
1 rack of ribs = $9.25 so about $2.00 was used.
1 tangerine = $0.20
Spices, flour, honey =~$0.30
Total Cost: ~$2.50 for entire meal

No comments:

Post a Comment