15 December, 2011

9na's Apple Crumble

This is a very easy crumble for the beginner bakers of the world such as my friend, Juan. My friends Juan, David, and I manage to make and bake this psuedo pie in about an hour and had so much fun doing so! I hope you enjoy it just as much as we did to eat and bake this lovely dessert.

Ingredients:
1.) ~2.5 cups of all purpose flour
2.) 3/4 cup of melted butter (or a stick and half)
3.) ~1.5 cups of brown sugar
4.) ~2 tbsps of cinnamon
5.) 3 medium apples (I used golden apples I had sitting in my fridge for a while)
6.) 1 pie pan (mine was about 8 inches in diameter & 1.5 inches thick)
7.) Ice cream for topping if desired
8.) Whipped cream for topping if desired

Directions:
1.) In a mixing bowl, add flour, 3/4 cup of brown sugar, 1 tbsp of cinnamon, and melted butter. Mix until crumbs form. Pack half of the crumbs into greased pan to create a crust.
Mix flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon to create crumble.
Mix together with melted butter to create crumbs. Make sure the bottom of the bowl is scraped  when mixing to incorporate all flour and butter.
Using a spatula or a flat spoon, pack into a pie pan to form a crust. Ensure that the sides have some crust also.
2.) Peel and slice three apples (and remove the cores) and place in bowl. Mix in 3/4 of a cup of brown sugar and 1 tbsp of cinnamon. Mix until the apples are evenly coated. Spread coated apples over the crust and spread to make an even and uniform layer.
Peel and core apples; I used some apples I had sitting in my fridge which were a bit soft.
Slice apples into 1/4 inch slices. 

Once coated with sugar and cinnamon, place apples into the crust and spread into uniform layer. 
3.) Coat with remaining crumbs an try to cover as much of the apples as possible. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 45 minutes until the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and let the crumble cool and cut. Serve either plain or with ice cream as desired. Enjoy!
Coat with remaining crumbs to cover as much of the apple layer as possible.

Fresh out of the oven crumble. As you can see from the bottom right corner, some of the brown sugar bubbled and peeked out of the crust. 
Let the crumble cool, slice, and serve. I like mine with whipped cream only :D So delicious! Enjoy!
Here was my friend David's second slice--slice of ice cream with pie on top :D
Afterthoughts: Very yummy. Even before we baked it, Juan kept eating the crumbles while the smell of brown sugar and cinnamon wafted through the air. It was so enticing! After a lot of whipped cream and ice cream later, we still had a good portion of crumble left. This recipe serves about four people. I also wished I used dark brown sugar instead of the light brown I used (again, personal preference since I'm a brown sugar fan and love the molasses flavor). This crumble can go well with pecans, walnuts, or any flavor ice cream you desire. This was really fun to eat. I hope you enjoy!

Costs:
1.) Flour, sugar, cinnamon = <$0.60
2.) Apples = 3x$0.20 = $0.60
3.) 1.5 sticks of butter = ~$1.00
Total Costs = $2.20 for a whole pie

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! A dessert!! I'm super excited to make this over break not only because it looks delicious, but because it's so simple to make! 5 ingredients gotta love it.

    Thanks Nina--I'm excited to read what you're going to cook up next.

    ReplyDelete