25 December, 2011

Chicken Udon Soup.

This recipe is to all those udon lovers out there who just want a quick and easy version at home. With only a few ingredients, you can have this lovely bowl of noodles in your kitchen too. I hope you enjoy.

Ingredients:
1.) 1 bouillon cubes (you can use any kind, I'm using chicken)
2.) ~1 cup of chicken stock
3.) ~1.5 cups of water
4.) 1 packet of udon noodles
5.) Enoki mushrooms (as much as you want to add)
6.) Soften tofu (as much as you want to add)
7.) Bean sprouts (as much as you want to add)
8.) Cilantro (as much as you want to add)
9.) 1/4 cup of diced scallions
10.) thinly sliced meat (optional)

Directions:
1.) Bring water and stock to boil. Add bouillon cube and packet of udon. Once the udon has become soften (no longer its original packaging shape), reduce heat.
 
Add 1 packet of udon noodles and a bouillon cube to a pot of  boiling water & stock. 
2.) Begin adding ingredients. Add meat, bean sprouts, mushrooms, tofu, and half of the scallions.
You can add as much ingredients as you please. My favorite is enoki mushrooms :D
3.) Place cilantro at the bottom of serving bowl, remove the udon from heat and serve over the cilantro. Enjoy!
Mix in remaining ingredients and serve.
I personally didn't add meat to mine since I served it with some deep fried shrimp. :]
Afterthoughts: It was really filling and savory. Next time I'm going to try making it with some beef (my favorite) and some fish balls (don't worry, I'll post a pic). This time, I didn't add meat to the noodles just because I had made some deep fried shrimp to go with it, but the shrimp hadn't turned out as well as I wanted to have. But, no worries! I will post the fried shrimp recipe once I make some adjustments. Other than that, it was a great meal. I loved the mushrooms. The great part about this recipe is the fact that it's very versatile. You can basically add anything to the noodles as you please, but do at your own risk i.e. jelly beans >.<. But, I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did. Oh yeah, this serves one. :)

Costs:
1.) 4 packets of (single serve) udon = $2.50 so ~$0.62 for 1 packet
2.) Overall ingredients, mushrooms, scallions, tofu, etc. = ~$1.50
     a.) 1 packet of enoki mushrooms = $0.99 (1/3 was used)
     b.) 1 box of tofu = $1.00 (1/4 was used)
     c.) 1 bag of bean sprouts = $1.09 (1/8 was used)
Total Costs: $2.12 for 1 large serving of udon noodles

No comments:

Post a Comment