31 December, 2011

Cornmeal Crusted Swai.

I know, I know, after reading the title, I know you're wondering, what the hell is "swai"? Well, for all you fish lovers out there, swai is a commercial bred fish closely related to catfish; except, significantly cheaper. Swai is often found in Asian markets, such as mine, and make excellent substitutes for catfish. I like it in particular for its attributes of sweet, soft, flakiness. It is also significantly cheaper! A whole bag of frozen swai filets (6) is about two dollars. In this recipe here, I'm only using half a filet which was already large for a meal. So, sit back, read, and cook. I hope you enjoy.

Ingredients:
1.) 1 Swai filet
2.) 3/4 cup of yellow cornmeal
3.) 4 tbsps of all purpose flour
4.) 1/2 tbsp of cayenne pepper
5.) 1/2 tbsp of paprika
6.) salt and pepper
7.) 1 egg
8.) 1/4 cup of 2% milk (any milk is fine also)
9.) 1/3 cup of oil to fry

Directions:
1.) Coat filet with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and paprika. Then coat with flour. Ensure that the entire filet is coated in flour. This helps the egg cling to the fish.
Always flour, egg, then cornmeal to create a nice crust.
2.) Break and beat the egg. Add milk to soften the mixture. Dip flour coated filet into egg mixture. Coat entire filet.
3.) Dip filet into cornmeal ensuring that the filet is thickly coated. Place into hot oil to fry.

Add to hot oil once thickly coated.
4.) About 3-4 minutes a side, depending how thick the filet is, turn filet with spatula until the cornmeal is gold. Remove from heat and let the filet cook on a rack. Remove and serve.
After 3-4 minutes, turn the filet over. Remove from oil once the cornmeal is golden brown.
Remove from oil and place on try to cool. This prevents sogginess!
I served it with my arroz sucio recipe :D It was delicious. 
 Afterthoughts: It was delicious. Surprisingly, even for half a filet, it was extremely filling. I loved the arroz sucio that I had served it with--it was a great pair. The fish was delicious, sweet, and very crunchy. I must say, it's better to be careful when breading with cornmeal is the fact that it can burn very very easily. Best to always watch the temperature when frying. It would have been also very good with some tartar sauce or dijon mustard. I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment